Q: What can I expect as a client of Accredited Investors?
Our firm provides you with advice and expertise in virtually all aspects of your wealth management. Each client has a team of people who work for you in developing and implementing strategies that give you the opportunity to meet your stated goals. We meet regularly and communicate frequently. You can expect us to be creative, proactive, independent, objective, and skilled technically.
Q: What if I have other advisors with whom I am comfortable?
We regularly work collaboratively with your other professional advisors. If you are not working with an accountant or attorney, we will refer you to one. Since we are a fee-only firm, we do not get compensated for any product. If you have insurance agents with whom you are comfortable, we will work with them to evaluate your existing programs and give an objective second opinion. We also help you with banking relationships and mortgage or other financing programs.
Q: Who is your firm’s typical client?
Since every situation is unique there is no such thing as a typical client. Our clients tend to want objective, comprehensive wealth and investment management. In general, they also want to understand why something should or shouldn’t be done, rather than just how it can be done. Since we either charge a minimum retainer or a fee based on assets under management, we are best suited to serve those with investment portfolios that are over $2 million dollars. We work with a variety of clients:
- Physicians – We work with physicians on their individual planning as well as their retirement planning. Physicians often have specific issues to which our expertise lends itself.
- Generational Wealth – We work on strategies related to passing money on to the next generation. While this may involve some complex investment, tax, and estate planning, where appropriate, we will also organize family meetings to foster communication.
- Retirees or near-retirees – Clients want to know whether they will have enough to comfortably retire and how their money should be invested to help with this comfort. We have experience in everything, including navigating Social Security, Medicare, long-term care, investment, and charitable planning.
- Executives – Stock option planning is often a critical component in executive compensation. We have extensive experience in understanding black-out periods, holding requirements, incentive stock options, non-qualified stock options, and stock trading plans. We will work closely with your firm’s Human Resources department to satisfy all compliance requirements.
- Inherited Wealth – Often clients come to us after receiving inheritances. This is an area where our expertise in blending the financial and emotional components of money decisions really comes into play.
- Business Owners – When you own your own business, you often need help with regard to decisions about reinvesting in the business or diversifying. Estate planning becomes extremely important, as do family meetings. We've also helped a number of our business owners with the sale of their businesses. Having created a successful business ourselves has given us both the knowledge and the wisdom to counsel our business owner clients.